Google Decides, Time to Commit to Mobile First.On Tuesday April 21st, 2015, we are all moving to a mobile first world, whether you like it or not. The world's largest search engine, Google, is making a major update to its mobile search algorithm that will change the order in which websites are ranked when users search for something from their phone or tablet. Yes, your Google results will change, favoring those sites that have optimized for mobile experiences. The algorithm will start favoring mobile-friendly websites (ones with large text, easy-to-click links, and automatically re-size to fit whatever screen they’re viewed on) and ranking them higher in search. Websites that aren’t mobile-friendly will get demoted. Is your business Mobile Ready? Tomorrow? A few features of a mobile-optimized website are:
- It’s smaller
- Has less detailed text-blocks and focuses more on key points
- Has larger navigation buttons
- Fewer graphics
- Includes a phone number that starts a call when clicked on
- Provide Personal Context: The key to success on mobile is real-time tailoring the presented experience to the unique aspects of that user, and that moment. Start to plan how and where a user is when they engage your site via mobile.
- Avoid Building Online Mimics: You may have spent hundreds of thousands of dollars on the design of your online presence, but copying it and squeezing it into a smaller screen won't work. You'll need to rethink the elements that go into the site's design.
- Make Decisions by the Numbers: Analytics are powerful tools when used effectively. Find out if your web team already uses such tools. Then use that to observe and understand how your users are moving through your site. The results might surprise you.